By Jo McDonald,Peter Veth
- Summarizes the variety of perspectives on historical rock paintings from prime overseas scholars
- Includes new discoveries and examine, illustrated with over a hundred and sixty pictures (including 30 colour plates) from significant rock artwork websites round the world
- Examines key paintings of famous professionals (e.g. Lewis-Williams, Conkey, Whitley and Clottes), and descriptions new instructions for rock artwork research
- Is extensively overseas in scope, selecting rock artwork from North and South the US, Australia, the Pacific, Africa, India, Siberia and Europe
- Represents new ways within the archaeological learn of rock paintings, exploring matters that come with gender, shamanism, panorama, id, indigeneity, historical past and tourism, in addition to technological and methodological advances in rock artwork analyses
Read or Download A Companion to Rock Art (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology) PDF
Similar archaeology books
Containing on the subject of 3,000 phrases and definitions, Dictionary of Artifacts is an vital reference for someone operating in the box of archaeology. Entries aspect artifact’s class and typology; uncooked fabrics; tools and strategies of construction; rules and methods of exam and identity; and directions for the care and upkeep of specimens.
Combining his abilities as a veteran journalist and well-practiced storyteller together with his 20 years of underwater adventures in maritime archaeology, Carl Naylor deals a colorfully candid account of exceptional discoveries within the Palmetto State's background and prehistory. via a mixture of own anecdotes and archaeological facts, Naylor's memoir, The Day the Johnboat Went up the Mountain, files his studies within the provider of the Maritime examine department of the South Carolina Institute of Archaeology and Anthropology, a study arm of the college of South Carolina.
Hunter-gatherer study has performed a traditionally relevant function within the improvement of anthropological and evolutionary concept. this present day, learn during this conventional and enduringly important box blurs traces of contrast among archaeology and ethnology, and seeks as an alternative to enhance views and theories generally acceptable to anthropology and its many sub disciplines.
A brand new iteration of archaeologists has thrown down a problem to post-processual concept, arguing that characterizing fabric symbols as arbitrary overlooks the cloth personality and value of artifacts. This quantity showcases the numerous departure from past symbolic methods that's underway within the self-discipline.
- The Neanderthal Legacy: An Archaeological Perspective from Western Europe
- Trowel Love: Essays on the Sociology of American Archaeology
- Remembering the Dead in the Ancient Near East: Recent Contributions from Bioarchaeology and Mortuary Archaeology
- New Deal Archaeology in Tennessee: Intellectual, Methodological, and Theoretical Contributions
- Colchester, Fortress of the War God: an Archaeological Assessment
Additional info for A Companion to Rock Art (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology)